Tuesday, April 28, 2015

#342: Rod Stewart - Every Picture Tells A Story (1971)


Zack: I’m not sure why I’m writing this review. My brother already nailed it in a text a few days before I listened to this album. “I mean rod stewart would make ur panties wet if you were 60.” That’s it. Wrap it up. We’re not doing any better than that. But since I have to at least try, if only to make that above sentence seem even better by comparison, then let me just say that this album was like a cornier Tom Petty. It was generally inoffensive, if bland, but that’s about all that I would be willing to say. Some songs seemed okay. Some seemed less okay. That’s really about it. Unless you’re 60, that is.
Favorite Tracks: (I Know) I’m Losing You; Maggie May; Every Picture Tells a Story

Emily: The extent of my knowledge of Rod Stewart is that he sings Do Ya Think I'm Sexy?, the favorite karaoke song of lounge lizards everywhere. So you can imagine my surprise when Every Picture Tells A Story was essentially a blues-rock album. I was expecting old-guy pop, and I got the singer for Jeff Beck. This was early in Stewart's career, though, so I guess he made a few changes to his style further down the line. That's kind of a shame though, because Stewart's raspy voice is really well-suited to the blues-folk-psychedelic-rock styles of the late '60s and early '70s. This wasn't the best incarnation of those genres that we've listened to by a long shot, but it was interesting to spend 45 minutes with young Rod Stewart before he became the sleazy-listening kind of guy we (or at least I) think of today.
Favorite Tracks: (I Know) I'm Losing You; That's All Right; Maggie May

No comments:

Post a Comment