Wednesday, April 1, 2015

#339: Curtis Mayfield - Super Fly (1972)


Emily: I've written before about my love for Jimmy Cliff's The Harder They Come. It's one of those rare soundtracks that's better than the movie even when the movie itself is quite good, and it also was one of the first compilations to introduce reggae to the world a few years before Bob Marley took it all the way mainstream. Even though I haven't seen Super Fly the movie, I'm pretty sure Curtis Mayfield's soundtrack falls into the same category as Cliff's. Even though it didn't introduce a whole genre of music to the world, Super Fly was one of the first Blaxsploitation soundtracks to make an impact AND was one of the first soul albums to adopt the classic rock standby of the concept album, using the music to fuel messages of social change. That alone would earn it a spot on this list, but Super Fly is also just a great '70s soul album, full of funky grooves to create songs that make you both dance and think. While it may not replace The Harder They Come (and Saturday Night Fever, for that matter) as my favorite '70s soundtrack, Super Fly is definitely up there on my list.
Favorite Tracks: Super Fly; Pusherman; Little Child Runnin' Wild

Zack: Finally! An album that gives me a chance to talk about D’Angelo’s Black Messiah. Seriously, about halfway through listening to Super Fly, that was the thought that hit me the hardest. But once I finished listening to those last 3 tracks, I actually felt a little guilty that I had been so preoccupied drawing parallels with a modern R&B/Soul/Funk classic when I should have been enjoying Super Fly for what it was: a superb album. Seriously, it blew Isaac Hayes’s Shaft (Shaft!) out of the water in terms of best Blaxploitation soundtrack. Mayfield grabbed on to something special with his grooves and socially conscious lyrics. And even though D’Angelo did the same on Black Messiah (which everyone should listen to, especially The Charade), for now I think I’ll show Super Fly the respect it deserves and just say listen to this.
Favorite Tracks: Super Fly; Pusherman; Think (Instrumental)

No comments:

Post a Comment