Wednesday, July 23, 2014

#293: LL Cool J - Mama Said Knock You Out (1990)


Zack: For some reason, I don’t think of LL Cool J as a golden age rapper. And I don’t mean that as some sort of knock on LL Cool J, just that he’s at least retained enough cultural relevance that I don’t think of him in the same way I think of say…Slick Rick. And yet Mama Said Knock You Out is a few months older than I am and was already LL’s fourth album. On it, LL raps ferociously, especially on the title track and a few diss tracks like To Da Break of Dawn. There’s also a fair amount of diversity. For example, there’s a song entirely of cereal puns called Milky Cereal that crossed its spoon metaphors in a few places and overall was just kind of dumb. In general, I was more into the hard-hitting stuff than the softer, “I’m LL Cool J and I’m chiseled from rock so you should show me your boudoir” songs. Which I thought was interesting since it’s the latter that I associate with LL more closely. Overall, I liked Mama Said Knock You Out and I could see myself adding a few songs to some playlist down the road, but I don’t have any urge to dive into his discography any deeper.
Favorite Tracks: Mama Said Knock You Out; Illegal Search; Eat ‘em Up, L Chill

Emily: At the ripe old age of 22, LL Cool J released his fourth album, Mama Said Knock You Out, after having commercial success through the early waves of hip-hop throughout the mid-'80s. This album seems, though, what really started to bring him critical acclaim in both the hip-hop community and the mainstream music press. He starts to bridge the gap between the '80s golden age, with its goofier lyrics and heavier influence of funk and soul, and the harder sounds that came to prominence in the '90s. In general, I preferred the former side of LL Cool J. The title track, though, was my favorite because it really brings the two eras together. In the (relatively short) timeline of hip-hop and rap, LL Cool J has been a figure throughout, adapting a bit to the times while still staying true to his sound. On Mama Said Knock You Out, that adaptability shines through.
Favorite Tracks: Mama Said Knock You Out; Eat 'em Up, L Chill; Around the Way Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment