Thursday, July 10, 2014

#288: Chemical Brothers - Exit Planet Dust (1995)


Zack: My three favorite electronic albums, as of right now, are Air’s Moon Safari; Chemical Brothers’ Exit Planet Dust; and Daft Punk’s Random Access Memories. What I find so interesting about that is the fact that those three albums could not be more different. Moon Safari, which we listened to years ago, is a relaxing “chillout” album that is just perfect. Random Access Memories is a wonderful journey through music, complete with not one but two super poppy Pharrell songs. And Exit Planet Dust is heavier than either of those two, with almost a little rock edge to it. I find this disparity to be so interesting because I’ve typically been so down on so many of the electronic albums we’ve listened to. Surely there must be some sort of trend that will predict which electronic albums I’ll like and which I’ll despise with the sort of fury that only exists in the hearts of the truly depraved. But if we commit the cardinal sin and look only at the dependent variable, no trend emerges. I don’t know why that is. But Exit Planet Dust is an awesome electronic album that avoids many of the pitfalls that usually frustrate me with so many other albums. Namely it avoids being repetitive while still not relying on sudden jumps in sound (essentially building up a nice, smooth continuity that doesn’t rock you to sleep) and doesn’t drag on forever (under 50 minutes is totally acceptable, but it’s worth noting that Daft Punk close in on 80 minutes and remain entertaining throughout…although that does kill the relistenability). This isn’t a good editing album like Moon Safari is, but I good totally see myself turning it into a good grading album. Yes, that is what I was doing while I listened to it in the first place.
Favorite Tracks: Chico’s Groove; In Dust We Trust; Life Is Sweet

Emily: On the continuum of electronic albums we've listened to, this is probably one of the best ones. Sure, there were a few songs in the middle that were a bit grating on my ears, but I will inevitably feel that way as a fan of melody and non-computer instruments. However, both the beginning and end of Exit Planet Dust are strong examples of taking electronic music and adding rock and pop sensibilities. The result is an interesting listen, an album that seamlessly blends together for its entirety and held my attention in a way that electronic music usually doesn't.
Favorite Tracks: In Dust We Trust; Leave Home; Life is Sweet

No comments:

Post a Comment