Monday, July 14, 2014

#289: Ali Farka Toure - Savane (2006)


Zack: Over my winter break, I went through and listened to a ton of the albums that appeared on various publication’s “Best of 2013” lists. I found a ton of new artists that I love and several albums that I listen to religiously now. But I don’t think any find was bigger or more surprising that Bombino. His album Nomad is fantastic from start to finish, and worth checking out by anyone and everyone. While I don’t know if Bombino was influenced by Ali Farka Toure in any way, it sure sounds like it. Whereas Nomad merges world music with classic rock influences like Jimi Hendrix, Ali Farke Toure combines African folk music with the blues seamlessly. It was really refreshing to hear, especially since the world genre tends to be so hit-or-miss.
Favorite Tracks: Banga; Savane; Ledi Coumbre

Emily: I also immediately thought of Bombino as I listened to Ali Farka Toure. Both musicians take the traditional folk music of their home countries and fuse it with modern influences - Hendrix and other rock music for Bombino, and classic blues for Ali Farka Toure. Both musicians are also highly regarded as guitarists, bringing together these genres with deft musicianship. Unlike other "world" music, which essentially just takes the music of one non-Western culture and dubs it "world" because it's not the kind of music we make or listen to in America, these artists truly make world music by bringing together the musical traditions of generations and cultures from all across the globe.
Favorite Tracks: Soya; Savane; Yer Bounda Fara

No comments:

Post a Comment