Saturday, June 28, 2014

#285: Derek and the Dominoes - Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs (1970)


Emily: When I queued up this album today, my first thought was, "Hey, isn't Layla by Eric Clapton? What's it doing on this album? Is this a weird cover thing? Hmm..." Clearly I was uninformed, because a few bluesy rock songs in, I looked up the album on Wikipedia and found out that Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs "is often regarded as Eric Clapton's greatest musical achievement." You learn something new every day. Even if I hadn't looked it up, though, I would've figured out it was Clapton far before Layla actually started playing. This album is filled with the classic sounds of Clapton's blues guitar (plus Duane Allman) and emotional lyrics of love both desired and lost. I wasn't totally off base with the cover idea, though. Although Layla and most of the rest of the double album is original, there are also covers of blues standards as well as a Jimi Hendrix song. Just goes to show how even the most influential artists and albums are always harkening back to what came before. Now, the next great blues album should have its own cover of Layla.
Favorite Tracks: Layla; Why Does Love Got to be So Sad; Have You Ever Loved a Woman

Zack: I’m not entirely sure why, but I thought we had listened to Cream a lot more recently than we actually had. No matter, because it is always a good time to listen to Layla. For a lot of people, Derek and the Dominos is Clapton’s crowning achievement. Surprisingly, I haven’t put that much time into this question. Gun to my head, I’d say: 
1) Disraeli Gears
2) Layla
3) 461 Ocean Boulevard
4) Five Live Yardbirds
5) Unplugged
6) August, solely because of my affinity for Miss You
7) Fresh Cream
8) Blues Breakers
9) Blind Faith
10) Ridin’ with the King
I’d need to put more thought into it, though, especially reevaluating my take on some of his solo stuff. Regardless, of that and even if you take the possibility of a priming effect into account, I’ve got Layla at 2 and have a hard time justifying it any lower than 4, at worst. In such a long and storied career, it really stands out. Part of that has to be just the emotion that bleeds through, specifically the parts where Clapton is singing about lusting for his best friend (George Harrison)’s wife. It’s really a message we can all relate to. (aside: Seriously, where does Pattie Boyd rank on the list of all-time muses? I’m not qualified to figure that one out, so someone get on it.) The other part is the obvious chemistry between Clapton and Duane Allman. You could just feel two kindred guitar spirits challenging each other but also feeding off each other spectacularly well. It doesn’t hurt that – I’m trying not to break out into another spontaneous list but it’s hard – those have got to be two of the top 10 guitarists of all time. Anyway, Layla is incredible, even beyond the title track that is such a classic rock staple. Even though it’s a double album and does occasionally feature like 3 minute blues intros into songs, it never really feels like it’s lagging anywhere. And it’s got some of the most impressive solos you’ll hear anywhere.
Favorite Tracks: Layla (duh); Key to the Highway; Little Wing  

No comments:

Post a Comment