Monday, June 16, 2014

#282: Death in Vegas - The Contino Sessions (1999)


Zack: I love when an album’s Wikipedia page has nothing more than the release date (1999), which album number it is for the artist (2), and if it won any awards (nominated for a Mercury Music Prize). Oh, and the track listing. Can’t forget that. I didn’t know what to expect from The Contino Sessions, but I was pleasantly surprised. It was rock-influenced electronic music, and that is a perfect blend for grading. From start to finish, this album seemed to be catered around just being an interesting yet somewhat conventional listening experience. In a lot of ways, it reminded me of the more recent album Slow Focus by Fuck Buttons. It wasn’t quite as video game-y, but the same approach seemed to have been taken. It’s probably not a coincidence that I played Slow Focus immediately after I finished The Contino Sessions, because there is just something here that makes them work together. Anyway, that’s your official Zack Scott endorsement of the week. Listen to both of those albums back to back. Play them at the same time if you have to. Just get some of that in your life.
Favorite Tracks: Dirge; Aladdin’s Story; Aisha

Emily: I first listened to this album about a week ago on a Megabus back home from visiting Zack. At the time, I couldn't think of much to say. Not that it mattered, since my laptop was dead and the plug at my seat wasn't working. I still had New York Dolls to log, and time has kind of gotten away from me since then. So today, as I do some research for upcoming interviews, I gave The Contino Sessions another shot. It kind of blended into the background as I worked, but on occasion a shift in tone - infusing more rock into the electronica, or a punch of spoken word - would draw my attention and interest. Death in Vegas, at least on this album, made some great music to think by - subtle enough to not distract away from the task at hand, but unique enough to draw you in even as you focus on something else. Next time I'll test it out for my studying repertoire, or perhaps just for idle thoughts.
Favorite Tracks: Aladdin's Story; Aisha; Soul Auctioneer

No comments:

Post a Comment