Wednesday, January 8, 2014

#263: Deee-Lite - World Clique (1990)


Emily: A couple years ago, my roommates, Zack, and I were playing Sporcle on a lazy weeknight in my apartment. With my roommate Petra at the helm, we started the Vh1 100 Greatest One Hit Wonders quiz. The quiz gave the song title and we had to fill in the artist. I, as readers of this blog likely know, love all Vh1 lists and especially the lists of one-hit wonders, so of course I read the quiz over Petra's shoulder and told her all of the answers I knew, with both Zack and my other roommate Jordyn chiming in with their own knowledge. When we got to Groove is in the Heart, we told Petra to type in Deee-Lite. She started spelling it "Delight," then "Delite," and then a few more incorrect iterations until we yelled "IT HAS THREE E'S!" She was frustrated (perhaps rightfully) but we all found it hilarious. Now, of course, at any opportunity we have to mention Deee-Lite we do it solely to make fun of Petra. Just last week Zack started to play Groove is in the Heart without telling Petra what the song was, and she was kinda into it until she figured out what it was. She then promptly rolled her eyes while Zack and I got our groove on in the living room. So while I listened to all of Deee-Lite's debut, I had the silliness of this whole joke in my mind. It was a fitting attitude to have here, since the album is just a silly and fun dance album. There's not a lot of substance, but that's totally unnecessary. It just made me want to get my futuristic groove on, and to try not to laugh too much when Petra ultimately asks me what album I'm listening to.
Favorite Tracks: Groove is in the Heart; Smile On; World Clique

Zack: Guys, I have a confession to make. For a while, groove wasn’t in my heart. I wasn’t heartless, but my distinct groovelessness made the existence of my heart effectively worthless. It felt like my cardiac muscle had been attacked with sandpaper. Because it had no groove. I was lost. But now I am found. Because Deee-Lite, a name I believe they devised solely to confuse people (much like my band name: thair), came and put plenty of groove into my heart. And now I can Smile On with the Power of Love while asking Who Was That? Get it? This entire post is a play off of their song titles. Which I guess must be frustrating for those expecting some sort of Deep Ending
Favorite Tracks: Groove is in the Heart; Try Me On…I’m Very You; Deep Ending

No comments:

Post a Comment