Tuesday, January 7, 2014

#262: Aretha Franklin - Lady Soul (1968)


Zack: I’m writing this just a few days after the surprise release of Beyonce’s latest album, and I still haven’t listened to it. I had a fierce internal debate over whether I should knock out another blog album or that. When I saw that next up for me was Aretha Franklin, I figured I might as well tackle the original diva before moving on to her (goddess) understudy. Unfortunately, I’m also writing this before listening to said Beyonce album, so I as of yet can’t compare them. But that may work out well for Beyonce, because it would be hard to compare to the complete package that is Lady Soul. It has its groovy songs, its bluesy songs, and more than enough soul to go around. Lady Soul may only have 10 very short songs, but it has more heart and talent than a triple album from most artists. That last sentence sort of got away from me there at the end, but Lady Soul never deviates from its excellence. Overall, it’s the tight, consistent work of a masterful singer that doesn’t need the pomp of 17 videos to make it excellent.
Favorite Tracks: (You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman; Good to Me As I Am to You; Chain of Fools

Emily: As I listened to Lady Soul today, I felt like it was speaking directly to me. This may be because of what's going on in my mind and life right now, but I think I would have the same reaction any day under any circumstance. Aretha, the original diva and current most fabulous wearer of hats, created an album of soul and blues that speaks to what it's like to be in love (or not) on multiple universal levels. If you've ever been head over heels in love in with someone, or been incredibly angry at what someone you thought you loved did, or did something you thought screwed up a relationship, or apologized for screwing up said relationship, or forgave someone for screwing up, or moved on with your life from someone not good for you in the most fabulous way possible, or pretty much any other emotion that goes along with relationships - you will find something that you relate to on Lady Soul. Aretha can make anyone sad, angry, grateful, and incredibly happy, all with her amazing voice, emotional lyrics, and the power of soul.
Favorite Tracks: (You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman; Chain of Fools; Since You've Been Gone

No comments:

Post a Comment