Friday, January 3, 2014

#261: Sleater-Kinney - Dig Me Out (1997)


Zack: Wikipedia refers to Sleater-Kinney as “critical darlings,” which I’m pretty sure is sexist. Although, that isn’t to say that it isn’t true. The critics love Sleater-Kinney, and it’s not hard to see why. Everything – that voice, the buzzing guitars, that voice, the crispness of the drums, THAT VOICE – all mesh together perfectly to create something that is simultaneously an entire album of punk anthems and yet still so much more. I understand that Sleater-Kinney were a little more aggressive on previous albums and moved in some new, classic rockish directions later on. I’m excited to go check out all of the twists and turns in their career as well. For now, though, Dig Me Out is going to be playing very loud and very often, and I don’t expect it to ever get old.
Favorite Tracks: Dig Me Out; Jenny; Dance Song ‘97

Emily: As if I didn't already love Carrie Brownstein from Portlandia, today has introduced me to her first career as the badass frontwoman of the badass '90s punk band Sleater-Kinney. Punk has been one of my favorite genres for a while, and the '90s are one of my favorite musical decades. Throw in some feminist lyrics, classic rock sensibilities, and amazing singing, and you get Dig Me Out. I didn't realize I needed more (or any) '90s riot-grrl punk in my life, but now that I've heard one Sleater-Kinney album I'm excited to check out the rest. And, of course, listen to Dig Me Out many more times over.
Favorite Tracks: One More Hour; Dance Song 97; Turn It On

No comments:

Post a Comment