Tuesday, May 28, 2013

#215: Fleetwood Mac - Rumours (1977)


Emily: It's been quite a while since I've written one of these, so forgive me if my usual eloquence (or semblance thereof) is lacking. I thoroughly enjoyed Rumours. Of course I knew Go Your Own Way, and a few other tracks sounded familiar, but as a whole the album was unfamiliar to me. It's beautifully crafted from the melodies to the harmonies to the lyrics, with honesty and emotion that runs throughout. It's tough to believe the infighting and tension that stemmed from the creation of Rumours, though perhaps the album's beauty stems from these problems as well. Each member of the band has their own style that shows through in the tracks they each wrote, from the upbeat harmonies of Go Your Own Way (by Lindsay Buckingham) to the more simple and soulful Dreams from the mind of Stevie Nicks. Each member could be a solo artist in their own right, but together they shine brightest - even in the midst of that shine burning out.
Favorite Tracks: Dreams; Oh Daddy; Don't Stop



Zack: Literally minutes before I started listening to this album, a buddy of mine put on a song and remarked “I think I like Fleetwood Mac more than a 20-year-old boy should.” He then started to sing along with Stevie Nicks and there might have been one or two tears. And while there certainly is some cliché to go with that (something about truer words, I suspect), I can commiserate. Because I am a 22-year-old boy and I like Fleetwood Mac. I’d never listened to all of Rumours, but now I have and it is a damn fine album. Dreams is my favorite song by them, and that’s right there. Tremendous. Then there are plenty of other goodies. They vary the song styles from track to track, no doubt a consequence of the multi-writer approach, and I can certainly appreciate that. This is, frankly, just a great album and I’m so glad I finally had occasion to listen to it all the way through.
Favorite Tracks: Dreams; The Chain; You Make Loving Fun

No comments:

Post a Comment