Tuesday, February 19, 2013

#214: Tortoise - Millions Now Living Will Never Die (1996)



Zack: This was certainly quite a change of pace for us. It was completely instrumental, and they did a lot of pretty weird stuff. I really liked some parts, but wasn’t too into others. But those parts definitely couldn’t have been cut out. What I perceived as weak tracks led perfectly into the songs I like. Overall, this is more of a cohesive musical output than a song with separate tracks. With that in mind, I can’t really register a complaint about the whole 65 minute long thing. Yeah, it seemed like an excessive duration, but I can’t really imagine it being any shorter and having the same brilliant peaks.
Favorite Tracks: The Taut Tame; Glass Museum; Along the Banks of Rivers

Emily: Instrumental "post-rock" is not something that I've ever heard of before, let alone wanted to spend an hour listening to. It's a unique experience to say the least. I saw it as kind of a blend of experimental, electronic, alternative, and rock. Sounds weird, but it's quite calming and pleasant. I had it on in the background as I finished up some reading and checked emails, and it blended in quite nicely but I never ignored it. Although the album for the most part seamlessly blended together, the song Glass Museum particularly resonated with me. Not because of the song itself, but because I work at an actual glass museum. Synergy!
Favorite Tracks: The Taut Tame; Glass Museum; Along the Banks of Rivers

No comments:

Post a Comment