Saturday, February 9, 2013

#211: The Lemonheads - It's a Shame About Ray (1992)



Emily: Last week's episode of Girls aired early on HBO Go, so Zack and I watched it on Thursday night instead of the typical Sunday. The episode, oddly enough, was titled "It's a Shame About Ray." It's fitting, considering we found out that Ray (a recurring character, and now Shoshanna's boyfriend) is essentially homeless. A shame, indeed. The very next day, Zack emailed me a list of prospective albums for our next blog excursions. The very first one listed was The Lemonheads' It's a Shame About Ray. I immediately made the connection between the album and the episode title and selected it to be #211 precisely for that reason. The band name seemed vaguely familiar, but I wasn't exactly sure why. Were they featured in a Girls episode? Probs not, but even if they were that wouldn't explain the name recognition. As I listened to the album, I didn't recognize a single song, but I could tell that this was my kind of music. I'm always drawn to early-'90s alternative, college-radio kind of stuff, and this album fits the bill exactly. There's some pop, some guitar, some angry drums, and a good helping of early-adulthood angst. I was a fan all the way through, and upon hearing the last track I finally realized where I knew The Lemonheads from. The last track (actually a bonus not included on the original pressing) is a cover of Mrs. Robinson that plays relatively frequently on Radio 104.5. Aha! Mystery solved, and another awesome album has been added to my personal listening library.
Favorite Tracks: Alison's Starting to Happen; Rudderless; It's a Shame About Ray

Zack: Listening to various pieces of foundational alternative rock is kind of fascinating. You can see where certain bands branch off of and all the various influences. If you blur in punk and grunge and a few other notable subgenres, the web becomes almost infinitely expanding. There wouldn’t be a Coldplay without a U2. TV on the Radio, with all of their looping, wouldn’t have existed if not for Radiohead. Pixies and R.E.M. single-handedly created like a billion bands. Weezer made emo music. The list goes on. Now I don’t know the entirety of early '90s rock, but I have a sneaking suspicion that the Lemonheads spawned Fountains of Wayne, Death Cab for Cutie, Franz Ferdinand and a hell of a lot more than that. Internet capabilities are down across campus currently, so I can’t fact check that. Hell, I probably wouldn’t even if I could. But you listen to this album and you just hear that semi-poppy, still a bit melancholy tone. They switch up that formula by incorporating other genres into it – there’s even a country-esque jam – but the overall idea stays the same. And that idea would later be remodeled by like several boatloads of bands. So here’s to Lemonheads, one of the most influential alternative bands I’d never heard of.
Favorite Tracks: Rudderless; Alison’s Starting to Happen; It’s a Shame About Ray

No comments:

Post a Comment