Monday, January 14, 2013

#209: Massive Attack - Protection (1994)



Zack: The electronic genre is probably the most hit-or-miss, narrowly edging out country. Some albums are just screechy and repetitive. Others are able to incorporate interesting sounds and rhythms in a way that moves past some of the limitations that prevent traditional rock listeners from embracing the genre. If there was ever an example, this would be it. Protection threw everything in the mix. There was hip-hop, R&B, a cover of Light My Fire, just about everything you could ask. But it was still undeniably an electronic album. It had a bit of that chillout vibe that I loved so much from Air a while back, but it was not as relaxed. Instead, it relied on its diverse sounds to power it through. It was a really solid album overall, and one that definitely helps get the taste of the more forgettable ones off the palette.
Favorite Tracks: Shy; Protection; Three

Emily: We've had a streak of a few subdued albums, all of which I may or may not remember come next month or so. However, while they're all fresh in my mind, I've noticed that they all take on the subdued, quiet sound in different ways - ambient post-punk, heartfelt folk, and here we have chillout, laid-back electronic. On the scale of electronic music from ambient to screech, Massive Attack fell more on the former side. Surprising, too, considering their punk-sounding name. There's a lot going on, but in an interesting way that can both stand out or blend into the background depending on the song - or even the moment. One song I couldn't ignore was the cover of Light My Fire. It was an unexpected, unique, and well-executed take on a classic song that is difficult to replicate or renew. I know we have more Massive Attack coming up, and I'm curious to see where they draw from next time.
Favorite Tracks: Light My Fire; Weather Storm; Spying Glass

No comments:

Post a Comment