Monday, January 14, 2013

#207: Cocteau Twins - Treasure (1984)


Emily: This album really fit with the surroundings in which I listened to it, a phenomenon that doesn't always happen. I was on a bus driving down the PA Turnpike with its seemingly endless parade of trees. Treasure's calm ambiance fit the environment outside my windows quite nicely - and suitably drowned out the muted dubstep seeping out of my seatmate's headphones. At its best points, this album seemed like the music of a dark ballet. It's beautiful, but with some sinister undertones that set it apart. Each track is named after a person, which leads me to wonder if the sinisterness is directed at them. Alas, I had no Wikipedia on the bus, so I remained content with the black ballet of these lovers/friends/enemies/strangers dancing in my head.
Favorite Tracks: Beatrix; Persephone; Cicely


Zack: Seriously this is bullshit. Another album by a band known for their “signature ethereality,” but at least this time there was like 4 days in between when I made that playlist and when I listened to it. Anyway, this album is kind of hilariously dated. It may not have synths, but everything else about it is perfectly in line with 1984. The production values alone sound almost 30 years old, which isn’t always a bad thing but in this instance was pretty distracting. The music itself was alright. Pretty ambient, a hint of all those bands that we listen to that sound exactly the same but different enough that I didn’t really mind it. I’m even vaguely looking forward to listening to the next Cocteau Twins album.
Favorite Tracks: Persephone; Beatrix; Donimo

1 comment:

  1. If you are looking for an excellent contextual ad network, I recommend you take a peek at Clicksor.

    ReplyDelete