Sunday, December 23, 2012

#202: Boston - Boston (1976)


Emily: Back in high school, I was playing Rock Band with the guy I was kinda-sorta-dating at the time (yeah, long story). He started talking about how much he loved Boston, which prompted my wonderfully informed response: "Who's that?" Then he proceeded to select More Than a Feeling, and said "They sing More Than a Feeling. That song." I said "Oh. Yeah I know that song. Didn't know who sang it," and he started to play along on the Rock Band drums and ignore me (yeah, like I said, long story). Anyway, Boston is one of those bands where everyone knows that one song but may not know any other songs by them, or even know who sings that one song at all. Boston's debut, on which that one song everyone knows appears, kinda sounds the same as More Than a Feeling throughout the whole thing. It's arena rock through and through, lots of big guitar solos and sing-along choruses. They figured out a formula and stuck with it, succeeding the most on - you guessed it - More Than a Feeling. I guess that's why it's the one song everyone knows - regardless of whether they can identify Boston by name.
Favorite Tracks: More Than a Feeling; Let Me Take You Home Tonight; Rock and Roll Band


Zack: You probably expect me to write something about More Than a Feeling, don’t you? Well, you’re wrong. I’m going to write about Peace of Mind, the second song on the album, because they play it all the fucking time at work and somehow I never paired Boston with it. Once those opening strumming came in, I recognized it right away and was absolutely blown away that I hadn’t figured it out sooner. I mean, you know what Boston sounds like. It’s like that-song-that-won’t-be-named done over and over and over again but in slightly different ways. High-pitched male vocals? Check. Heavy guitar riffs? Check. And we’ve got a Boston song. Peace of Mind has all of that and I still never put it together. I’m ashamed of myself. Anyway, Boston is Boston. If you’re in to that sort-of cheesy hard rock scene, they’re perfect. They’re a slightly better version of Kansas, which is my way of telling any young musicians out there not to name their bands after a city or state since the results seem to be overwhelmingly poor. Anyway, Boston. If you listen to Classic Rock radio, you’ve probably heard every song on this entire album a billion times. It is what it is.
Favorite Tracks: Foreplay/Long Time; Something About You; More Than a Feeling

No comments:

Post a Comment