Friday, November 16, 2012

#196: Holger Czukay - Movies (1979)


Emily: I have no idea what this album has to do with movies. Then again, I have no idea what this album has to do with anything. The first song, Cool in the Pool is about just that - getting cool in the pool on a hot day. While I rather enjoy pools, I don't know what this song is doing here. It's a nice companion piece to the Aquabats song Pool Party, but I doubt Holger Czukay would appreciate the comparison to a ska band made up of fake superheroes in bright blue tights. The rest of the album made sense together - 3 ambient tracks that flowed naturally from one to the next, so much so that I didn't even realize that the songs changed until halfway through each. But a rhymey pop song about pools thrown in there too...uh, what?
Favorite Tracks: Hollywood Symphony; Oh Lord Give Us More Money; Persian Love


Zack: Krautrock may not be the greatest musical genre out there, but it does have the best name. Movies is kind of a weird, but unassuming example. I didn’t really like it, I didn’t really hate it, I just had to say “Oh Krautrock! You’re so nonconformist. You do your own thing, don’t you, Krautrock.” Movies is Krautrock (which at this point I am just trying to write as many times as possible) with a twinge of experimental, psychedelic, and worldy goodness. But it still is uncompromising in its Krautrockness. Because of that, and my lack of prior experience with Krautrock, I can’t really compare it to anything. Or maybe that’s just because my brain is fried from all the writing I’ve been doing lately. Either way, Krautrock and roll, yo.
Favorite Tracks: Oh Lord Give Us More Money; Hollywood Symphony; Persian Love

No comments:

Post a Comment