Saturday, November 3, 2012

#192: Cowboy Junkies - The Trinity Session (1988)



Zack: This is a tale of two albums. On one hand, when I first listened to it, it almost sent my sickly body into a coma. It was so boring. It has hints of folk and blues and alternative country, all things that I am on the record saying I enjoy to various degrees. But it was all done in such a lo-fi, dull way. It was so hard to even notice it. Overall, I really didn’t like it. But then I read the Wikipedia page. This album was done using only one microphone. They had to do the vocals over a PA system because they were in a church and you wouldn’t have been able to hear anything over the few electric instruments without it. That…is actually kind of cool.  Accounting for the method of production, I came around about an eight of a click. I didn’t do a 180 and start loving this album, but I at least understand why it sounded so boring. I’ll probably never relisten to it, but at least I know that I listened to something kind of innovative like that.
Favorite Tracks: Postcard Blues; Sweet Jane; I’m So Lonesome I Could Cry

Emily: With a name like Cowboy Junkies, I was expecting a whole lotta yee-haw from this album. Traditional rip-roaring, drunk-ass country music. Needless to say, I was surprised when the first track was a slow acoustic guitar accompanied by an ethereal female voice. And so was the next, and the one after that. That's when I finally checked out the Wikipedia page and found out the Cowboy Junkies are nowhere close to yee-haw. They're Canadian, for one, and this albums is considered to be more on the folk end of country. Now that made sense. The lead singer's beautiful voice is well-suited to the sound, folk and country tinged with the slow swing of jazz. The jazz-influenced tracks were my favorites of the album. They rose above the beauty and lightness of the rest of the album with more complex musical heft behind the instrumentation and vocals. I'll take that over yee-haw any day.
Favorite Tracks: Working on a Building; I Don't Get It; Blue Moon Revisited (Song for Elvis)

No comments:

Post a Comment