Thursday, November 15, 2012

#195: Morrissey - Viva Hate (1988)



Zack: Our first foray into the mind of Morrissey was remarkably forgettable. If I remember correctly, and there is a pretty high chance that I do not, I found Meat is Murder to be whiny and kind of dull, but still kind of looked upon it favorably because it still sounded okay I guess. Was that right? Lord knows I’m not going to go back and check. I end up revisiting a lot of the albums we listen to at some later point, something I’m quite proud of since I constantly am noticing different elements to songs or lyrics that I never would have caught had my experience been a one-time thing. I never went back and relistened to Meat is Murder. Maybe I should, but I just have absolutely no motivation to do so. Viva Hate, on the other hand, has something worth revisiting. I believe the Ancient Mayans called it chutzpah. It combines an ethereal quality – which I thought was present but wondrously misused in Meat is Murder – with a little thing called variety. There are real differences between songs! How novel of an idea. I don’t think it’s necessarily the greatest album I’ve ever heard, maybe not even a great album. But at least there are certain qualities that hint that exploring it deeper is a worthy investment of your time.
Favorite Tracks: I Don’t Mind if You Forget Me; Suedehead; Angel, Angel, Down We Go Together

Emily: After reading Zack's review, I decided to look back and see what I thought of the Smiths. I've listened to Meat is Murder a couple times since then, and I really enjoyed it then and still do now. There's something about Morrissey's voice that just gets me every time. I hope to relisten to Viva Hate as well at some point. There's a lot going on on this album, from changes in tone to lyrics that hearken to the breakup of the Smiths to a political current that envisions Margaret Thatcher on the guillotine - and more. It was difficult to pick up on all that with just one listen, but what I did hear this first time through I enjoyed. There are few songs that are more upbeat than the Smiths, as well as those that are just as beautifully melancholy. It's worth at least a few listens, and I continue to look forward to exploring more and more of Morrissey's discography as we continue through the list.
Favorite Tracks: Late Night, Maudlin Street; Suedehead; I Don't Mind if You Forget Me

No comments:

Post a Comment