Monday, September 12, 2011

#133: Lou Reed - Berlin (1973)



Emily: Usually I like to do a little research on the albums we listen to as we’re listening. However, my Internet was down for a while, so I didn’t get to do that with Lou Reed – and I’m glad it worked out that way. You see, Berlin is a concept album about a doomed relationship, drugs, and depression. Did I know that before I pressed play? Of course not. All I knew was that Lou Reed was the frontman of the Velvet Underground, and that Zack liked the album. As I listened, I picked up on Reed’s lyricism and storytelling. It’s a mix of upbeat and melancholy in both the music and lyrics. With all its ups and downs, I saw it as a reflection of life, which could’ve been way off the mark. Now that I’ve read a little bit about the album, however, I think Lou Reed and I were on the same page. Berlin takes on a universal idea and brings it to a personal level, telling the story of one family that could ring true to almost anyone.
Favorite Tracks: Caroline Says II; How Do You Think It Feels; Men of Good Fortune

Zack: When Berlin originally was released, it received almost universal criticism. Now, it’s universal acclaim. The truth is somewhere in between. It’s a brilliant concept (a star-crossed couple much like Romeo and Juliet who are doomed by drugs and depression rather than the less fun type of family feud and coma-inducing elixirs or as I call them, comixers) that is executed with reasonable success. Despite a sort of high-brow feel that continues the Shakespeare-reminiscent vibe, there is nothing particularly extraordinary about the instrumentation or material that sticks out upon a cursory listen. Usually, with an album such as this, I usually get the feeling that multiple listens are required to truly appreciate what’s going on. I didn’t get that feeling here. I pretty much understood what was going on and I liked it enough. Still, I’m not about to anoint it as a masterpiece or anything. As previously mentioned, the strongest thing Berlin has going for it is its conceptual design. It tells a beautiful story. It just tells it is a sort of conventional way, which wasn’t really what I was expecting from Lou Reed. 
Favorite Tracks: Sad Song; How Do You Think It Feels; The Kids

No comments:

Post a Comment