Tuesday, September 20, 2011

#135: Pet Shop Boys - Actually (1987)


Emily: It kind of surprised me to learn that Pet Shop Boys are one of the most commercially successful bands on this list. I mean, I had heard of them in passing but I don't think I had heard one of their songs until today. Well, once you add the caveat of them being one of the most successful bands in Britain, not knowing them here in the US makes a bit more sense. Once I listened to Actually, that claim definitely made sense. Although it's a new wave/electronic album, it's pop through and through. With lyrics ranging from sappy to nonsensical (a whole song about shopping, and another about loving someone because they pay your rent) mixed in with bouncy synth beats, it has teenage adoration written all over it. There's not much substance there, but it's definitely a good time. Just try to listen to One More Chance without busting out into an impromptu dance party. I bet you can't.
Favorite Tracks: One More Chance; It's a Sin; I Want to Wake Up

Zack: I had no idea what to expect coming into this album. It seems that the new wave/electronic/synthpop albums we’ve done were all schitzophrenic. I get that a good feature is ecstatic highs and unbearable lows, materialized through various tempos and pitches and whatnot, but sometimes it seems like an album is just trying to be a collection of unbearable lows. I was very pleasantly surprised to discover that Pet Shop Boys were all about making dynamic music that, frankly, wasn’t terrible. And there was singing! Now I’m not saying vocals are a necessity if you’re trying to make a great classic album. But unless you’re the guy who fronts The Right Coast, it can’t really hurt. I don’t know if I’ll ever go back and relisten to this album like I’ve done with a great deal of what we’ve gone through. But there are certainly a few songs that I have every intention of adding to my rotation. Foremost of them is the intro track, One More Chance. The drum roll and keyboard intro may only last like 5 seconds, but it’s a badass 5 seconds. As soon as that happened, I knew I was at least investing my full attention to at least this first song. And then, a dude who sounds like the British version of John McCrea (the lead singer of Cake). The lyrics aren’t necessarily mind-blowing, but they work with the beat perfectly. I think that’s probably what is the most impressive part about Actually. How flawlessly everything melds together to just form music. It’s hard to separate and analyze it because it was just music. And it was definitely enjoyable.
Favorite Tracks: One More Chance; It’s a Sin; Hit Music

No comments:

Post a Comment