Friday, June 10, 2011

#99: Parliament - Mothership Connection (1975)


Zack: I have long had plans to go see Parliament perform live with Emily’s mom, and listening to this album just reinforced that notion. It just doesn’t get any cooler than them. They start off Mothership Connection with a song that seemed to perfectly encapsulate what I was hoping to get from this album with its repeated use of the phrase “I wants to get funked up.” I couldn’t have said it better myself. I just wanted them to be “doin’ it to [me] in the earhole,” and that is exactly what they delivered. Hell, in that song they even managed to heal my aching back with their brilliant advice to lay down on the radio (I used my laptop instead) and “let the vibes flow through.” Truly, P. Funk delivered all I could have asked for and more. And then, Mothership Connection proceeded to continue delivering on its funky promises by blasting fantastic song after fantastic song right into my brain until I couldn’t stop calling everyone I saw a jive turkey. No matter how hard I begged, this album would not let up on its funky assault. The bass was bumpin’, the horns were blarin’, and I was dancin’. Truly, Mothership Connection is Parliament at their out-of-this-world best, but it is so powerful that you need to be cautious about approaching it if you fear the funk’s power.
Favorite Tracks: P. Funk (Wants to Get Funked Up); Give Up the Funk (Tear the Roof Off the Suckers); Mothership Connection (Star Child)

Emily: Zack and my mom have decided that they’re going to go to a Parliament concert together. While I’m not quite sure why, after listening to this album I’ll definitely try to join them. Parliament and its sister band, Funkadelic, are the definition of 70s funk. With a huge group of musicians (Wikipedia counts 17 singers/hand-clappers alone), the band creates a complex sound like no other. Horns, percussions, and other random sounds create music that can only be described as funky – it’s loud, it’s sexy, and it’s a ton of fun. I can only imagine the spectacle they would put forth in concert. To paraphrase George Clinton himself: I want the funk! I gotta have that funk!
Favorite Tracks: Give Up the Funk (Tear the Roof off the Sucker); Night of the Thumpasorus Peoples; Unfunky UFO


No comments:

Post a Comment