Tuesday, June 14, 2011

#100: Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds - Henry's Dream (1992)



Emily: Do you know Nick Cave? If you’re like me, then probably not. As we organized the list by genre and artist, Zack and I were both perplexed as to why this guy was honored with multiple listings. Now that we have listened to the first of these albums, I understand why. For the uninformed, Nick Cave is an Australian musician who has dabbled in alternative rock and post-punk since the mid-‘80s. Henry’s Dream, Cave’s seventh album with the Bad Seeds, is both alternative and post-punk, but not like anything I’ve heard before. It plays like a soundtrack to a rock opera musical – and I mean that as a high compliment. It’s theatrical and vaguely over-the-top, but the band backs it up with great music. It sounded like blues meets post-punk meets orchestra; an odd combination that somehow works together harmoniously. I’m not quite sure why Nick Cave is so unknown (or maybe I’m just not paying attention), but the creators of the list definitely got it right this time. With one album down, I look forward to the music to follow.
Favorite Tracks: Papa Won’t Leave You, Henry; Christina the Astonishing; I Had a Dream, Joe

Zack: I had admittedly never listened to much Nick Cave before today, but I will look to remedy that unfortunate circumstance in the very near future. There was a subtle, dark beauty to this album. Even on the first listen, the passion perfectly placed into the songwriting process is practically palpable. Isn’t alliteration awesome? I developed an especially strong liking to the sing Brother, My Cup Is Empty; probably because I too am a poor whiskey enthusiast. I found it really relatable, especially that part where the protagonist is begging for whiskey. Not every song has such a simple narrative, however. Other tracks tell complex, five-minute dramas which can move you to tears. Alright, maybe they weren’t that emotionally taxing, but there was a certain power behind them. I can’t wait to explore Nick Cave’s lyrical genius further in the three albums of his that remain.
Favorite Tracks: Brother, My Cup Is Empty; Straight to You, Loom of the Land

No comments:

Post a Comment