Thursday, June 2, 2011

#95: Belle & Sebastian - Tigermilk (1996)


Emily: Belle and Sebastian are darlings of the indie music community, and from this album alone that distinction is rightfully theirs. Tigermilk is smart, thoughtful, and thoroughly enjoyable – no small feat for any band, but especially so for a small-scale debut. The arrangements are simple and the vocals are soft, which create a subdued tone. All of this softness and light does not make for a boring listen, however. There is uniqueness in Belle and Sebastian’s simplicity. A variety of tempos, instruments, and lyrical content set the band apart from legions of cardigan-and-glasses-wearing imitators. Not that I have a problem with glasses and cardigans, of course.
Favorite Tracks: Expectations; We Rule the School; The State I Am In

Zack: I have to question both the flavor and nutritional value of Tigermilk, but I don’t need to question its awesomeness. This album had a pleasant and relaxing sound that can help alleviate even the most hectic day. It’s not quite indie pop, but not really indie rock either. Tigermilk is really just quintessentially indie, in a more generic sense. Kudos to Belle & Sebastian for making such an exemplary album, and I look forward to a similar experience with the next one.
Favorite Tracks: The State I Am In; I Could Be Dreaming; My Wandering Days Are Over

No comments:

Post a Comment