Sunday, March 26, 2017

#422: Gang Starr - Step In the Arena (1990)


Zack: This is one of the semi-rare hip-hop albums on the list that I haven’t heard before. And I have especially been eagerly awaiting this one. I only started listening to Gang Starr a couple years ago (most notably their 1998 album Moment of Truth), but I’ve held off on listening to Step in the Arena for blog-related purposes only. Luckily, Emily and I semi-recently watched Luke Cage, where the episodes are named after Gang Starr songs, which probably led her to picking this album. Step in the Arena has the same jazzy sound as the other Gang Starr albums I’ve listened to, but there’s something about the album that is distinctly dated. It sounds like an album that someone would make A.R. (after Rakim) but B.W.T. (before Wu Tang). It has the same sort of complex lyrical patterns that Rakim pioneered, but these technically demanding lyrics are primarily used for bragging. Guru hasn’t been inspired to try his hand at the sort of emotional, vicious deliveries or lyrical content that the Wu-Tang Clan elevated. The best way I can say it is, from the various Gang Starr projects I’ve listened to, they always sound like a product of their eras rather than shapers of them. Which isn’t necessarily a bad thing! DJ Premier is a top-10 producer for sure and probably in the top 5 (I’d have to think about it some more). Guru is a talented rapper. And they take what others are doing around them and really polish it up well. Gang Starr is a great way to sum up an era of rap, but it doesn’t sound like they do much to explain the trajectory it took.
Favorite Tracks: The Meaning of the Name; Lovesick; Step in the Arena

Emily: First, a disclaimer: I listened to this album on a flight home from vacation in Tokyo. It was a fun, interesting vacation, but certainly not a relaxing one. Therefore, on this flight, I was super tired and not necessarily in top focusing form. However, I did find myself drawn to Gang Starr's style. I didn't remember the Luke Cage connection when I picked the album; rather, I remembered Zack mentioning that he was excited to listen to it. That probably happened while we were watching Luke Cage, but either way I'm glad I picked it. As Zack notes, they definitely embody the sounds and style of their time. I liked the old-school nature of the beats, which were largely repetitive and lent to a focus on the lyrics. And Guru's rhyming skill certainly shines through. As with many rap albums, the lyrics probably merit a further listen to get a full grasp on both the sound and the story. However, on a first, tired listen, I was intrigued enough to want to check out Step In the Arena again.
Favorite Tracks: Form of Intellect; Who's Gonna Take the Weight; Beyond Comprehension

No comments:

Post a Comment