Sunday, March 12, 2017

#420: Teenage Fanclub - Bandwagonesque (1991)


Zack: First off, great album name. Second off, if you get a second, go read the Wikipedia page for this album. It doesn’t tell you much about the album itself, but it does confirm a lot of the things you think about other stuff. For instance, Spin picked this as the album of the year over Nevermind, because of course Spin would do that. And of course Gene Simmons has trademarked the image of a bag with a dollar sign on it, because only a total tool would do that. And Jimmy Eat World would of course cover an obscure Scottish alt rock band. It all just makes too much sense. Anyway, Bandwagonesque is a pretty good album. It’s very lush and polished and vaguely upbeat. I would have guessed that it came out in 1997, not 1991, which is slightly impressive. There’s not much else to say, really. It was pretty good, but I can’t imagine it blowing anyone away. Unless you write for Spin, that is.
Favorite Tracks: Star Sign; Alcoholiday; The Concept

Emily: I agree with Zack that this album has a great name (and the band's name is pretty good too). But I can't agree with his evaluation. I thought this album was a total bore. The lyrics of multiple songs was just the repetition of their titles over and over and over again. The music itself was repetitious as well, from song to song and within the songs themselves. While I guess that music was pleasant enough, it didn't offer any interest. To me, this album was a pale imitation of a bunch of music I've heard before. So many deserving albums have been left off this list, and they certainly could take the place of this uninteresting, snoozeworthy way to spend 45 minutes.
Favorite Tracks: I Don't Know; Pet Rock; The Concept

No comments:

Post a Comment