Tuesday, March 22, 2016

#390: Primal Scream - Vanishing Point (1997)


Emily: I'm always on the lookout for good music to listen to while I work. This is a hunt that will become even more pronounced as I spend my summer studying for the bar and starting my first real-life job as a judicial clerk. For me, the best working music is largely instrumental (though a few words here and there is fine), a mix of energetic and calming songs, and some sort of steady beat. I've found a few things that fit this bill - the John Coltrane Pandora station and the Mellow Beats playlist on Spotify are two of my favorites, as well as a few of the albums we've chronicled over the years. And now, Primal Scream fits the bill as well. The album is largely instrumental, spanning the '90s rock spectrum between alternative and electronic. It's an interesting mix, but it all flows together - perfect for both background music while studying and a closer listen on its own.
Favorite Tracks: If They Move, Kill 'Em; Kowalski; Star

Zack: I had never heard of Primal Scream, so I had no idea what to expect going in to this album. I had classified it as alternative rock, but alternative is such a broad category that it could really be a lot of different things. I was a bit nervous, but it turns out I had no reason to be. Primal Scream reminded me of a lot of different artists that we’ve come by, but the main three were Radiohead, TV on the Radio, and Air. You may notice that those are three very, very good comparisons, especially coming from me since I love TV on the Radio so so so very much. Vanishing Point mixed a light version of alternative rock with a heaping dose of electronic, specifically some effects that remind me of the modern chillwave movement. I actually find the sections where the band was playing around with electronic music to be the more interesting ones. But the whole album was really solid. I didn’t love it quite as much as I love The Bends or Moon Safari or pretty much anything by TV on the Radio (OK Calculator excluded), but it was the sort of album that I could easily see myself keeping on my iPod and just enjoying on a long train ride or something. Considering the bloated size of my iTunes and my limited iPod space, that’s one of the highest compliments I can give.
Favorite Tracks: Long Life; Get Duffy; If They Move, Kill ‘Em

No comments:

Post a Comment