Tuesday, March 8, 2016

#387: Killing Joke - Killing Joke (1980)


Zack: Holy crap! A post punk album that I actually liked! I did not think this day would actually come. While so many other post punk albums we’ve listened to all sounded so repetitive, seemingly remaking the same songs over and over and over again with identical vocals and sputtering guitars, Killing Joke ditched the speed of punk but retained the intensity and some of the harshness. The result is a really interesting sound. It’s not polished, but it is dynamic, with a sort of proto-grunge vibe to it. Killing Joke was solid and different from so many of its contemporaries, making it one of like 3 albums we’ve listened to from that accursed genre actually work checking out.
Favorite Tracks: Tomorrow’s World; The Wait; Bloodsport

Emily: Frequently, with the post-punk genre, I'm not quite sure what to write about. I don't feel much of a connection to the genre - it's way before my time, but usually not interesting enough to make me wish it was of my generation. A lot of the artists have a similar sound too, and there's only so many permutations of "I can see the transitional influence here" that I can put forth. Now, Killing Joke is another member of this uninspiring post-punk brigade. I definitely liked it more than many of its counterparts, particularly the heavier-rock elements that certainly became a hallmark of grunge a decade later. However, it still didn't give me much to say, and it's likely I'll forget it altogether by the time the next post-punk album comes around.
Favorite Tracks: Wardance; Requiem; Complications

No comments:

Post a Comment