Tuesday, February 24, 2015

#328: The Stooges - The Stooges (1969)


Zack: I really want to become a big fan of The Stooges. I just feel like that’s a really cool band to say you’re a fan of. So I was really pumped to listen to this album. I loved Iggy Pop’s Lust for Life and still play it pretty often, and I’ve already obtained the complete Stooges discography for when I can officially consider myself a fan. But I haven’t jumped in to listening to anything else yet because I wanted to get through the classics first. So no matter how bad I wanted to listen to Live at the Whiskey a Go-Go (and I wanted and still do want to listen to it very badly), I reconciled myself to waiting until we at least listen to their debut album and Raw Power. I certainly haven’t backed down from my plans after officially crossing the former off. The Stooges was an awesome album, serving as an amazing halfway point between garage rock and punk. Even when the album got kind of weird (We Will Fall), there was a certain charm to it. I didn’t think any of the songs were quite as good as Search and Destroy, but the album was filled with really solid songs that were packed with energy. I still hesitate to call myself a Stooges fan, since there is still a few more albums to listen to before I think I can speak about them intelligently. But I’m on my way and very excited about the process.
Favorite Tracks: No Fun; I Wanna Be Your Dog; Real Cool Time

Emily: The Stooges occupy such an interesting place in the rock music timeline. They come at a time when the hippies were on their way out, garage rock was just settling in, and punk was still a few years away. At that time, I don't think there was a clear way to be cool in music. The best strategy was just to do what you want and see what happens. I think that's what makes The Stooges so cool. They're definitely tied to a scene and an era, but they're the ones who made that scene and era happen with their unencumbered sound and style. They took what was new and made it even newer, foreshadowing the evolution of punk late in the next decade. The only other exposure I've had to The Stooges is Iggy Pop's solo Lust for Life, so I'm curious to hear what he and the band did in between. No matter what it is, though, I'm sure it's just as cool as this debut.
Favorite Tracks: No Fun; 1969; I Wanna Be Your Dog

No comments:

Post a Comment