Wednesday, February 4, 2015

#323: Merle Haggard - I'm a Lonesome Fugitive (1967)


Zack: By far the biggest change this endeavor has created in my musical tastes is my somewhat reluctant appreciation for country music. If someone had asked me back when I was just a wittle bitty freshman what type of music I listen to, I would have said “I listen to pretty much everything, except country. Country music blows.” Now, I actually do listen to everything (although I don’t have all that much say in the matter), and I wouldn’t levy a blanket statement like all country music blows. I’ve begun to not only appreciate some of it, but also understand what types I like and dislike. For example, Merle Haggard is a prime case of what’s known as “outlaw country.” Other notable exemplars include Johnny Cash and Willie Nelson, both of whom I listen to semi-regularly. I even have a Johnny Cash Pandora station and absolutely love it. The reason I like the outlaw variety of country is because it trades it almost all of the twang (which I know now is a key feature of the old Nashville style of country music) for a more bluesy feel. The songs tend to be about crime and redemption, along with the other usual suspects of women and booze. In short, I find albums of the outlaw variety to have a bit more character to them. I’m a Lonesome Fugitive certainly fit into that category. It was a country album through and through, but one that never felt repetitive or corny like, say, Tiger by the Tail. The songs featured real storytelling to accompany slick guitar playing. It was a beauty to behold. One of my favorite albums from 2014 was Sturgill Simpson’s Metamodern Sounds in Country Music, and you could really hear the Merle Haggard influence. The next time I need a country fix, you can bet this album will be one of the first I play. And don’t be surprised if a lot more Merle shows up on my iPod sometime soon.
Favorite Tracks: I’m a Lonesome Fugitive; Somebody Told My Story; Drink Up and Be Somebody

Emily: Although I'm not quite as enthusiastic as Zack about this album, I liked it more than some of the other country albums we've listened to. In my country taste I tend to skew more modern, but I also like the storytelling element of some of the more classic artists like Johnny Cash and Dolly Parton. I'm a Lonesome Fugitive is on the older side of things, so it definitely has a lot of blues-influenced twang going on. That's not my favorite, but his lyrics make up for it. Each song tells a story and captures a mood, whether it's anger, sadness, or hope. That emotion and honesty is the hallmark of country music, and Merle Haggard captures it with aplomb.
Favorite Tracks: Drink Up and Be Somebody; All of Me Belongs to You; House of Memories

No comments:

Post a Comment