Saturday, May 31, 2014

#280: John Lennon - Imagine (1971)


Emily: In terms of Beatle preferences, I'm more of a McCartney fan than a Lennon fan. I just tend to prefer McCartney's simpler, poppier style over Lennon's world-weariness and experimentation. Lennon is a legend in his own right, and on his own he really gets to explore different styles and ambition. Though the give-peace-a-chance title track is the best-known song on this album - and perhaps the best-known solo Lennon song period - Imagine really gets its fire when Lennon gets angry and brings out the rock & roll. Nowhere is this more evident than on the McCartney-attacking How Do You Sleep?, a fiery rock track brimming with rage and guitars. McCartney still may be my favorite Beatle, but I'm not exactly rushing to defend him after spending a bit more time with Lennon on his own.
Favorite Tracks: How Do You Sleep?; I Don't Want to be a Soldier; Imagine

Zack: I’ve made it no secret that I’m not that into the Beatles, but maybe I should be more specific. I think John Lennon is wildly overrated. Is that clear enough? Don’t want there to be any confusion over where I’m coming from. That said, Imagine is a pretty good album. Not fantastic, not mind-meltingly fantastic. Maybe you could persuade me to go as far as really good, but certainly no further. But, hey, maybe I’m missing something here. Maybe I just don’t see the beauty underneath the bubblegum. I’m open to persuasion, but look convincing me otherwise.
Favorite Tracks: Jealous Guy; Imagine; How Do You Sleep?

No comments:

Post a Comment