Saturday, September 15, 2012

#186: Iron Maiden - The Number of the Beast (1982)



Zack: Iron Maiden is always going to be remembered for being one of the most ridiculously insane, over-the-top performance groups ever. Their stage shows are notorious for being circuses (circi?) of Biblical imagery, violence, and blood on blood on blood. Despite that, I’ve always felt that they had some of the more sonically sound music of their contemporaries. It’s hard to argue with Black Sabbath’s legacy, but I think it can easily be argued that, on an evaluation of the two bands ability to make consistently rockin’ music, Iron Maiden is the superior. Admittedly, I’ve never been all that into either band, and I’ve probably spent more time digesting the music of Sabbath in a very critical way. This is the first Iron Maiden album I’ve listened to in its entirety (I think – you can never be too sure with what I’ve listened to growing up, but I don’t recollect any instances so it’s at least relatively safe to say). And supposedly this is their best one. But I’ve listened to several Sabbath albums before, and was never nearly as impressed as I was here. I didn’t love this album. But I liked it and a lot of that has to do with Iron Maiden’s ability to make really heavy music that also doubles as being just plain really good. While there are undoubtedly some examples of that in Sabbath’s catalogue, I wouldn’t say it’s as pervasive.
Favorite Tracks: Children of the Damned; Run to the Hills; Hallowed be Thy Name

Emily: Controversy seems to follow metal bands around - or maybe they just tend to invite it. Apparently The Number of the Beast was super controversial 30 years ago when it was released because conservative Christians thought Iron Maiden's members were a bunch of satanists. I mean, their album title does explicitly refer to satanic numbers. And the album cover features a...cartoon devil? That's not even scary. That could be part of a Looney Tunes dream sequence or something. Damn, those conservative Christians might be overreacting a bit. And for that comment they'll probably call me a Satanist too - oh well. For all of the controversy, Iron Maiden put together a solid album. It's a half hour of consistently fast, loud, and good music. I usually don't say that about metal, so you should know it must be good. I can see this playing well to a live crowd too, with lots of moshing and shouting along. And perhaps some protesters outside getting pummeled by a guy with a cartoon Satan on his jacket.
Favorite Tracks: 22 Acacia Avenue; Invaders; Run to the Hills

No comments:

Post a Comment