Wednesday, September 5, 2012

#184: 13th Floor Elevators - The Psychedelic Sounds of the 13th Floor Elevators (1966)



Zack: Can someone please explain to me how an electric jug works? It’s got me really confused. I’ve done a substantial amount of research on the subject ever since I read that the 13th Floor Elevators used one on this album, and I’ve seen photographic evidence that they exist. But just how and why? As baffling as the how is, the why is an even more preposterous problem to postulate on. Why is this happening? I don’t mean to let on that this album wasn’t enjoyable. In fact, quite the opposite. It was a pretty entertaining time. Blues, garage rock, folk and psychedelic influences all seamlessly merged. All are genres I appreciate, and they are all used effectively here. But the inclusion of the electric jug wasn’t quite as seamless. It deserves its own Christopher Walken and Will Ferrell skit on SNL. More electric jug is something that should be shouted from the rafters in an effort to create laughter. Surely, the idea that an electric jug, with subtlety thrown to the wind, is just the last element necessary for a song to reach its true potential provides the sort of fodder that only requires some long wigs and tight pants to push over the edge into the boundaries of late-night television. And that, my friends, is what I took away from this album.
Favorite Tracks: Kingdom of Heaven; Roller Coaster; Thru the Rhythm

Emily: I really, really enjoyed this album, but I'm not quite sure why. I know it wasn't the unique element of the electric jug. I'm still not quite sure how that works, considering a jug is an empty bottle and bottles generally do not require electricity. And I agree with Zack that it seemed pretty pointless. To me it sounded like simulated bubbles popping, like a Spongebob Squarepants sound effect repeated over and over again. Not exactly a versatile or even necessary instrument. Seriously, jugs should not be electrified. But jug or no jug, I really liked the 13th Floor Elevators. This album was upbeat and fun, but not poppy or vapid. The proto-psychedelic sound is firmly rooted in blues, rock&roll, and early '60s garage rock. This album came slightly before psychedelic got weirder and more famous, so the rock roots definitely set it apart. That still doesn't answer why I liked this album so much though. A lot of albums came out of this era with similar influences, but this one just resonated with me. Alas, an unsolved mystery. At least, perhaps, until I listen to it a few more times.
Favorite Tracks: You're Gonna Miss Me; Reverberation (Doubt); Fire Engine

No comments:

Post a Comment