Tuesday, July 31, 2012

#173: Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road (1973)



Emily: Elton John is a great pop artist because he appeals to almost everyone. Though I wouldn’t call myself an Elton John fan, if Bennie and the Jets or Crocodile Rock come on the radio you know I’ll be singing along – and who doesn’t have that reaction? Goodbye Yellow Brick Road exemplifies John’s catchy piano-pop style, leading to an album that has universal appeal and near-universal acclaim. He varies the tempo and subject matter throughout this double album, boldly beginning with an 11-minute-long 2-part epic and following it up with a tribute to Marilyn Monroe, a reggae-tinged kiss-off, 2 ballads devoted to 2 different people, some soft rock, and a few poppy dance songs for good measure. It sounds all over the place, but it’s actually quite cohesive thanks to John’s signature piano sound. Of course, the singles are instantly recognizable – Bennie and the Jets and Saturday Night’s Alright for Fighting have been pop mainstays since the album was released – and impossible to not sing along with.
Favorite Tracks: Bennie and the Jets; Goodbye Yellow Brick Road; Grey Seal

Zack: This album, which is thematically centered around nostalgia, was the perfect listening music for me. You see, I am currently studying to take the GREs, a process which makes me long for the days of walking in all bleary-eyed and having done exactly 0 prep for the good ol’ SATs. But those days are long gone, and these days are here now. So I put this double album on while I worked through several dozen math problems on concepts as far ranging as 3 dimensional geometry, linear equations, probability, coordinate geometry, combinations and permutations, functions, and a whole bunch of other stuff that I haven’t had to think about in five years. Surprisingly, it kind of worked. The album is rather upbeat, which made me feel a little bit better about this being how I was spending my day off instead of playing in the sun. And despite being a robust 79 minutes long, it seems to fly by. Even the seemingly unwieldy opening track (Funeral for a Friend) feels like it’s a third of the length. But what amazed me the most Goodbye Yellow Brick Road is the overall timelessness of it. Honestly, had you asked me to pinpoint a decade from whence this was released, I would have shrugged. It sounds like it could have been just as likely to come out five decades ago as well as earlier this year. This was one of my first real experiences with Elton John (outside of all the times I listened to Eminem’s performance of Stan at the Grammys) and I really enjoyed it.
Favorite Tracks: Funeral for a Friend (Love Lies Bleeding); Saturday Night’s Alright for Fighting; Dirty Little Girl

Additional Note: I took the GRE's today and did great! Go me! And thank you Elton John for helping to make my scores possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment