Wednesday, July 11, 2012

#165: Moby - Play (1999)



Emily: Starting out, I was impressed by this album. Moby has a reputation for making ambient electronic music that would probably be played on an elevator, so I had fairly low expectations. The first few songs blew those expectations away. He made his signature sound cool and interesting by incorporating folk and soul samples with electronic production, modernizing the samples and giving roots to a newer sound. However, this unique blend only lasted through the first half of Play. At an hour runtime, I guess Moby just got bored with sampling and went back to his old, ambient ways. The second half of the album was essentially just dull background music, and I lost all of the excitement I had about the beginning tracks. Play would be great if Moby simply chopped off the second half; instead, it ambles into disappointment.
Favorite Tracks: South Side; Honey; Natural Blues

Zack: It was the best of times. It was the worst of times. I start this way because this is a tale of two albums. The first half was exciting. Cool. Enjoyable even. And then we got to the second half, where things went downhill quickly. Basically, after Natural Blues, Play turned into exactly what I expected from a Moby album. Now I’m not sure if that is because the shtick just wore thin, but I don’t think so. To make sure my ears were not deceiving me, I went back and re-listened to that first half. It was still good. There’s just something about that second half that had my finger hovering by the stop button. So my advice for any would-be listeners out there, treat Play less like an hour long LP and more like a really long (30 minute) EP. It’ll save 30 minutes of your life.
Favorite Tracks: Natural Blues; Porcelain; South Side

No comments:

Post a Comment