Thursday, August 18, 2011

#127: Metallica - Metallica (1991)


Zack: When someone starts talking about “The Black Album,” I immediately go to Jay-Z. Then to AC/DC. Then to a series of artists with other color-based albums like The Beatles and Weezer. Then the person I’m talking to realizes I’m not paying attention and informs me that they were discussing the merits of Metallica’s Black Album. It makes sense for them to do so. It’s sold over 22 million copies. It spawned six singles. It’s received almost universal critical acclaim. It even won a Grammy. But die-hard metal fans still look at it leery-eyed. From what I’ve learned by conversing with several metalhead friends, Metallica is basically a joke right now. They haven’t released a good album since the Black Album and are widely considered sellouts by the thrash community. These people will usually say that early Metallica is awesome, but they think the Black Album is where Metallica started pursuing a more commercial approach at the cost of their thrash roots. Well, if that’s true, then I’m so glad Metallica decided to sell out. I haven’t listened to any of the older Metallica albums, but I know that the thought of listening to them terrifies me like a small furry animal that has a hawk circling over it. But this? This I can handle. Unfortunately, that accessibility upset a notoriously exclusive metal community. So when the next couple Metallica albums came out and they weren’t as objectively good as the Black Album, the die-hard metalheads felt betrayed. But we’re not talking about them. We’re just talking about the Black Album. And it’s not hard to see why it got so big. It’s a strong album that combines a really hard edge and a slower pace (by thrash metal standards at least) that can be appreciated by a much wider audience. Plus, just look at the handy-dandy year we include in each post. The beginning of the nineties: a big time for music. People may remember that era for Nirvana and grunge, but it was really just a rejection of all the weak ‘80s music. When Generation X hit their late teens and twenties, they had had enough of that hair metal bullshit. Metallica offered an out from all that, and when it became easy for the everyday radio listener to get into it, the perfect formula for metal success was born.
Favorite Tracks: Enter Sandman; Wherever I May Roam; The Struggle Within

Emily: As I look at the list of metal albums on our list, I must say that I’m slightly afraid. The sheer quantity of ear-splitting, hard-rocking, head-banging metal is simply dizzying. My ears already hurt at the thought of it, especially after our experience with Ministry a few months back. However, Metallica surprised me. This is the album with Enter Sandman, the one where they allegedly went mainstream. I gotta say, mainstream Metallica works for me. It’s not scary or overpowering; it’s much more subdued than most metal. This renders it much more creative, interesting, and listener-friendly. However, subdued Metallica is still Metallica – even the slower tracks still rock hard. With strong songwriting and intense metal instrumentals, the entire album certainly merits many a headbang.
Favorite Tracks: Enter Sandman; Nothing Else Matters; Wherever I May Roam

No comments:

Post a Comment