Thursday, February 3, 2011

#68: Stevie Wonder - Talking Book (1972)


Emily: Stevie Wonder is one of the greatest living music artists, and this album shows exactly why. Talking Book is classic Stevie - soulful, romantic, and just a bit funky. My favorite songs are the funkiest songs, like Superstition. The upbeat horns and bass combined with Stevie's voice create a totally different sound than any other song on the album. It certainly has soul and funk, but there's definitely a bit of rock in there too. I think that's what makes Stevie Wonder so widely revered. He doesn't just stick to one genre, but adds elements from all over the musical spectrum to create something that is both unique and universal. Anyone can relate to his love songs, and everyone will dance to his funky tracks.
Favorite Tracks: Superstition; You Are the Sunshine of My Life; I Believe (When I Fall in Love It Will Be Forever)

Zack: Before I begin my review, I think it's important that I give a warning to all the readers out there. This album will make you feel randy. I'm not saying this to be funny or weird, but rather to give you all a fair warning. Don't listen to this album with family around lest things get awkward. Trust me on that. Anyway, Stevie Wonder is a musical icon. An award show doesn't go by where he doesn't do a duet with Alicia Keys. I'm told he also did one with the Jonas Brothers, but I'm going to choose to assume that that was just a bunch of people all having the same terrible nightmare. Either that or it was robo-Stevie Wonder. We'll have to add that to the list of unsolved mysteries, which is getting pretty long at this point. This album is a fantastic blending of all the classic Stevie Wonder sounds. There's R&B, soul, funk, and badass (the genre that I put Superstition is because it's too cool for all the others). Overall it's just a cool album by the coolest of musicians.
Favorite Tracks: Superstition; Blame it on the Sun; You Are the Sunshine of My Life

No comments:

Post a Comment