Sunday, December 26, 2010

#42: Ravi Shankar - The Sounds of India (1968)


Zack: Well, readers, this is our first foray into the intriguing and somewhat intimidating world of global music. Fortunately for yours truly, Temple nearly held me at gunpoint and forced me to take a World Music class. It seemed so useless at the time, but it looks like I’ve finally found an outlet for the knowledge that was beaten into my cranium. Unfortunately for yours truly, I can’t really lord my knowledge over you because if you listen to the album, Mr. Shankar explains pretty much all you need to know about Indian music in a less-than-five-minute introductory track. That’s right, a less-than-five minute introductory track that basically sums up what we spent well over five HOURS learning. Indian music is driven by a system of ragas, which are rules that dictate what notes to ascend and descend in. The other engine that drives Indian music is improvisation. During the introductory track, Ravi Shankar points out that in this respect, it is similar to jazz, but the two genres are very, very different. Indian music is very dynamic and sounds like nothing else you will ever hear in your lifetime. Ravi Shankar, a master of the sitar, displays this very clearly in this album and also gives explanations of what exactly he is doing so that Western listeners won’t be confused and flustered. That’s what really sets this album apart from any other Indian music album. It attempts and succeeds in bridging the gap between West and East, and in the process becomes an album that can be appreciated by anyone willing to give it a chance.
Favorite tracks: Sindhi-Bhairavi; Bhimpalasi; Dádrá 

Emily: Unlike Zack, I took an acting class instead of world music for my art requirement. As such, I know next to nothing about Indian music (except from what I head when Zack was studying for his World Music tests last year, and from background tunes at Indian restaurants). This album was definitely a good introduction to this wide-ranging genre. It is a comprehensive overview of Indian music. Shankar explains the distinct musical techniques and tones of Indian music, making it much more accessible to the unknowing American listener. I liked having these explanations - they were much more helpful than intrusive, especially because I had never forayed into the genre before. Though it wasn't one of my favorite albums, The Sounds of India was an interesting peek into Indian culture. I can now appreciate the music along with the food.
Favorite Tracks: Máru-Bihág; Dádrá; Sindi-Bhairavi

No comments:

Post a Comment