Thursday, December 23, 2010

#40: The B-52's - The B-52's (1979)



Zack: The B-52’s are so cool I almost can’t stand it. Their music is always fun and upbeat. They may slow the tempo down in songs like Dance This Mess Around, but the lighthearted feel to their sound never changes. Whenever a song of theirs comes on I (and I’m sure a lot more people) need to fight the urge to either dance, party, or both. Their influence on New Wave music cannot be overstated, and yet no other New Wave band has a sound anything even remotely resembling the B-52’s.
Favorite Tracks: Dance This Mess Around; Rock Lobster; Downtown

Emily: New Wave can be very hit-or-miss - it is such a reflection of '80s culture that New Wave album's are either influential and classic, or imitative and terrible (see: Soft Cell). Luckily, the B-52's fall into the first group. They're New Wave, but they do their own thing. This album has such a great kitschy, retro vibe that it's impossible to not like it. All of their songs are upbeat and a lot of fun - and I too had to resist the urge to dance throughout this entire album. The band is still around and touring to this day - I can only imagine how much fun their concerts must be.
Favorite Tracks: Rock Lobster; Dance This Mess Around; Planet Claire

And now for something completely different! Introducing our first guest writer, Zack's younger sister Heather. She has absolutely adored the B-52's for years, and we thought it would be perfect for her to listen to the album and come on as our official B-52's expert. We're not sure how often we'll have guests on, or if we'll even do it again, but to hell with planning for the future. For now, just sit back and enjoy.

Heather: I came across the B-52’s a few years ago when my dad was singing their hit song, Love Shack, in the car. The song wasn’t on the radio or anything, he just started belting it out randomly. When put into his voice, the song seemed weird, but when I found it online I fell in love. My kind brother actually purchased their greatest hits album for me when he found me listening to Love Shack so many times. After experimenting with their hits I knew this band was one to be timeless and irreplaceable. The B-52’s are simply a band like no other. In this album they bring their intriguing sound to a completely different level. I really enjoy how some songs are predominately female vocals, and others are mainly men. They offer a change up with every track. No matter the song, when you hear a rhythmic beat like this you’ll know it’s a B-52’s original.
Favorite Tracks: Planet Claire; Dance this Mess Around; 6060-842

No comments:

Post a Comment