Friday, November 25, 2016

#408: Bob Dylan - Blood on the Tracks (1975)


Zack: Evaluating Dylan albums after only one listen is really tough. So much of the appeal is wrapped up in the cryptic lyrics, and so they usually require dozens of listens to really start to appreciate. This was true of Blood on the Tracks, just as it has been true for Highway 61 Revisited and Blonde on Blonde before it. Also just like the other two Dylan albums we’ve listened to, it is so musically compelling that it really invites those listens. As of right now, I could easily see Blood on the Tracks being a contender for my favorite album whenever we get around to our next awards batch. Hopefully by then I’ll have listened to it enough to have developed a fuller opinion.
Favorite Tracks: You’re a Big Girl Now; Meet Me in the Morning; Idiot Wind

Emily: My first error in listening to this album was attempting to read and do work at the same time. I wanted to catch up on email and work on some job applications, and some background music seemed like a great idea. I probably should've stuck with the radio, though. Bob Dylan demands greater attention than I provided to Blood on the Tracks. His mastery is not in the music itself (though it's compelling in its own way), but in the lyrics. And I'm just not one to pick up on lyrics while I'm reading and writing and doing other things. Blood on the Tracks seems to deserve multiple close listenings, and if I get around to it again I'll give it the proper attention.
Favorite Tracks: Meet Me in the Morning; Tangled Up in Blue; Lily, Rosemary, and the Jack of Hearts

No comments:

Post a Comment