Friday, May 6, 2016

#393: Def Leppard - Pyromania (1983)


Zack: Tragically, Prince passed away earlier this week (at least the one in which I’m writing this). And as I thought about what an important figure he was and how much incredible music he made, I also couldn’t help but think about how weird it is that he existed in the same decade that gave us music like Def Leppard. As I was thinking that, I didn’t have Def Leppard specifically in mind, but they’re a handy stand-in for right now. Pyromania is not a good album. It is a pretty shitty album. Honestly, I don’t really know what is supposed to be redeemable about it. I tried to like Photograph, the biggest single off the album, and I guess it’s my favorite track? Notice that question mark. It is very important, because I want you to picture me, all handsome and whatnot, shrugging because I am very uncertain about what my favorite track is supposed to be off an album that is just not very good. Now, picture me shrugging even harder when I see that this album somehow went Diamond. Not Gold. Not Platinum. Platinum times 10. Diamond. How? How! I don’t know. This album came out in the year between Prince releasing 1999 and Prince releasing Purple Rain. Both of those albums sold very well too (Purple Rain went Diamond with an extra 3 Platinums to spare), but how could people be content to buy Pyromania when there were Prince albums right there to buy for the 3rd or 4th time. Doesn’t make any sense. The 1980s, you’ve still got some explaining to do.
Favorite Tracks: Photograph; Billy’s Got a Gun; Comin’ Under Fire

Emily: As Zack said, the '80s were a weird time for music. There were amazingly talented superstars whose music transcends the decade - people like Prince, Michael Jackson, and Madonna come to mind. There was a whole bunch of experimental post-punk and early alternative stuff, which isn't always my favorite, but it's at least interesting and created the foundation for great bands in the following years. And then there's a ton of schlocky hair metal that was insanely profitable and successful for a good 10 years, but 100% does not stand the test of time. Def Leppard falls into that latter category, and Pyromania exemplifies the crass, commercial nature of the genre. The album is radio friendly for sure, but it's a lot of flash with not a lot of substance. I understand why it did well in 1983, but it also just should've stayed there.
Favorite Tracks: Photograph; Rock of Ages; Too Late for Love

No comments:

Post a Comment