Friday, January 8, 2016

#382: LCD Soundsystem - Sound of Silver (2007)


Zack: I was just a little too young and a little too uncool to have been into LCD Soundsystem when they were active. Which is a shame, since I’ve long thought that Daft Punk Is Playing at My House is a great song, and thought so for a good year before I knew whose song that actually was. Sound of Silver is not an album with Daft Punk Is Playing at My House on it, but it has its own merits. For one, it is an interesting blend of The Strokes with, perhaps not surprisingly, Daft Punk. For another, it’s just a fun album to listen to. I actually liked the more Strokes-y parts the best, which sort of surprised me since The Strokes are comically overrated (#shotsfired). Sound of Silver was a great introduction to the band, although I’m certainly eager to listen to their other two albums so I’m prepared when they reunite five years from now.
Favorite Tracks: New York, I Love You But You’re Bringing Me Down; All My Friends; Someone Great

Emily: As we've discussed before, Zack and I don't listen to albums at the same time. We live in different states, so we have a list of albums that we go through individually. Zack sends his reviews to me and I post everything. Usually, this results in me being really behind and attempting to catch up with Zack's prolific review-writing. Today, though, my delay brings me somewhat of an advantage. Zack wrote his review about a month ago, predicting that we wouldn't see an LCD Soundsystem reunion for five years. However, just a few days ago, the band announced that they're coming back in 2016. They're headlining Coachella (with Guns 'n Roses...), releasing a new album, and most likely touring the world. So today seems like a perfect time to discover where this band all started, since I definitely wasn't cool enough to be listening to them in 2007. I was surprised by just how much I liked this album. It's a great blend of Daft Punk-esque electronic and 2000s punk-revival, with some alternative influences thrown in for good measure. It's the kind of album that you can dance to, tap your feet to, or just sit around and listen to. I can see it playing really well live too (perhaps explaining the reunion festival appearance). With this first exposure, I'd like to hear what else they've done, and I definitely wouldn't be opposed to seeing them live when they hit the East Coast later this year.
Favorite Tracks: Us vs. Them; North American Scum; All My Friends

No comments:

Post a Comment