Tuesday, March 24, 2015

#336: Funkadelic - Maggot Brain (1971)


Zack: I love me some Parliament, and I was expecting and hoping for largely the same from the sister band, Funkadelic. I did not get pseudo-Parliament, but I’m not disappointed by that at all. Maggot Brain blended more genres – most noticeably psychedelic rock – instead of cultivating narrower funk sound. The result is breathtaking. Starting with a mind-unraveling, 10-minute guitar solo in the title track, working through a bunch of quicker, more upbeat songs, and finishing with another abstract conglomeration of a song, Maggot Brain feels like a musical journey. It sort of reminded me of a sandbox video game. Even though the album is a contained 37 minutes, it feels sprawling, with near-infinite ways for a listener to access it. The closest comparison I can make isn’t Mothership Connection, but actually Dark Side of the Moon. And much like that masterpiece, Maggot Brain is clearly an album that I will cherish for many years to come.
Favorite Tracks: Maggot Brain; Super Stupid; Hit It and Quit It

Emily: I really didn't know the difference between Parliament and Funkadelic until today. They're kind of the same band since they're both headed up by George Clinton, and nowadays they tour and perform together rather than separately. But they started out as separate projects, so they're also different bands. I think they're best characterized as two sides of the same funky coin. While Parliament is driven more by classic funk and soul, Funkadelic takes its funk roots and adds in '60s psychedelic and rock. The result is unusual, unexpected, and captivating. While Parliament wants you to gotta have that funk, Funkadelic dares you to think about it.
Favorite Tracks: Hit It and Quit It; Super Stupid; You and Your Folks, Me and My Folks

No comments:

Post a Comment