Wednesday, December 17, 2014

#307: Buzzcocks - Another Music in a Different Kitchen (1978)


Zack: I honestly can’t imagine a less punk rock cover for an album than what the Buzzcocks got going on above. They’re getting dangerously close to boy band with those poses. Punk from the 70s has easily been my favorite variation so far, and Buzzcocks kept that going. Honestly, I was listening to it while I coded a dataset about US newspapers, which led me to only giving it a cursory first listen. From that first listen, I’ve easily deduced that it’s worth relistening to again and again. But I can’t say where it stacks up against the other titans of that era or update the running tally of which region produced the punk I like the best (it’s probably London in first and NYC as a close second, but I’ll have to get back to you on that).
Favorite Tracks: Sixteen; No Reply; Autonomy

Emily: We've once again had to take a break as our semesters got increasingly hectic and listening to music fell to the back burner. Well, I finished my last final yesterday and Zack will be done in a few days, so back to blogging we go (at least for a few weeks). After a rough few days consisting of studying, exams, and some family stuff going on back home, Buzzcocks ended up being a great way to tune out everything that's been going on around me. Another Music in a Different Kitchen is a straight-up punk album - no serious themes, nothing slow, nothing experimental or even truly novel - just a bunch of short, fast, guitar-and-drums-driven songs jammed into 45 minutes or so. It's the kind of music you (or at least I) would want to jump up and down and thrash dance and yell along to in a basement or small club in high school. Not that I was that cool in high school, but you get the idea. Punk is music to ignore your stress to, at least for me, and Buzzcocks definitely delivered on that. But even beyond that, I would definitely listen to this album at less-stressful times. It's fun no matter what, even if you look like a fool jumping up and down in your living room.
Favorite Tracks: I Don't Mind; Sixteen; Love Battery

No comments:

Post a Comment