Thursday, September 18, 2014

#302: Justice - † (2007)


Zack: Today, for your reading pleasure, we have a review of the other French electronic music duo. Or the other other French electronic music duo, depending on how you feel about Air. I’ve got to say, French electronic music duos have a fairly strong track record with me up to this point. I loved Cross. I listened to the first half when cooking dinner, then played the rest the following morning. It was so good, I decided to start it up from the top. Just as fantastic the second time through. Cross is heavy on actual instrumentation to go along with disco-esque sounds (Wikipedia informs me that it was intended as an opera-disco, which is a phrase I find fascinating.) Originally, I thought Justice was the electronic music-producing unit that announced a new album via blimp. Turns out that was Aphex Twin. But they do have an album due out sometime this year, and I just may have to check it out.
Favorite Tracks: Phantom; Genesis; Valentine

Emily: A few weeks ago, I went out with some friends to go dancing on a Saturday night. We went to a bar called Time that bills itself as a Parisian-style nightclub. We arrived around midnight, the dance floor was busy but not abnormally packed, and some Daft Punk-style French electronic music was playing overhead. That combo made for an excellent end to our night of drinking of dancing. Although the music occasionally mixed in some '90s and Top 40 hits (including my new personal favorite, Nicki Minaj's Anaconda), most of the tunes for the night echoed the French discotheque style of the song that was on when we first entered the club. After listening to Cross, I wouldn't be surprised if some of Justice's music is on rotation at Time for its late-night Parisian dance parties, or even if a song popped up the night I was there. Cross is great nightclub music, but also pretty good for just listening to on its own. It's not straight-up electronic, which I tend to dislike, but rather a fun and modern disco-y mix of instruments, vocals, and electronic beats. I was a fan, and maybe next time I'm at Time I'll request some Justice and disco la nuit away.
Favorite Tracks: D.A.N.C.E.; Newjack; DVNO

No comments:

Post a Comment