Wednesday, March 12, 2014

#274: Dusty Springfield - A Girl Called Dusty (1964)


Emily: When I looked at our list to see what I was listening to tonight, I groaned a bit when I saw the name Dusty Springfield. Based on the name alone, I thought she was a '50s or '60s country singer - not exactly my cup of tea, and not at all what I wanted to listen to tonight. Imagine my surprise when the first song, Mama Said, started and it sounded like late-'60s Motown girl groups. The Ronettes and Darlene Love came to mind immediately, so I flipped over to Wikipedia to get a little more info about Dusty, and it turns out she's a mid-'60s British pop singer. The short album nimbly bridges the gap between the British Invasion sound of The Beatles and their brethren, and the soul-and-doo-wop influences of Motown. The end result is thoroughly enjoyable - an unexpected trip to Detroit by way of London.
Favorite Tracks: When the Lovelight Starts Shining Through His Eyes; Will You Love Me Tomorrow; Nothing

Zack: I don’t really have much to say about this album. It was short, poppy, yet still had a soft soulful side. She sings a rendition of Mockingbird that I liked infinitely more than Eminem’s version. But most importantly, it was short enough that it never outstayed its welcome. Just like this post.
Favorite Tracks: When the Lovelight Starts Shining Through His Eyes; Mama Said; Anyone Who Had a Heart

No comments:

Post a Comment