Friday, August 16, 2013

#247: Les Rythmes Digitales - Darkdancer (1999)



Zack: Full disclosure: I was in a really foul mood when I listened to this album and there’s a pretty decent chance I let it bleed into my experience. Regardless, I’ve been in bad moods before and listened to an album for the blog and found that it settled me down or picked up my spirits or something. This was not one of those cases. All I kept saying to myself was “Jeez! More of this shit?” Pretty much every track was a test of perseverance against extreme annoyance. Each song was seemingly endlessly repetitive, looping the same aggravating sounds over and over and over again. It seemed like Daft Punk’s Rollin’ and Scratchin’ -  by far the worst track on an otherwise pretty solid Homework – stretched over an entire 55 minutes. I wanted to throw my laptop to the other side of the room and go drink some herbal tea. I may do the latter now as a means of coping.
Favorite (?) Tracks: Damaged People; Hypnotise; Sometimes

Emily: Unlike Zack, I was in a pretty good mood while I listened to this album. It was my last day of work, and I was merrily slicing up flyers with a paper cutter for my boss. This ended up being quite a good environment for listening to Les Rythmes Digitales. Yes, each track was extremely repetitive and could probably have been half as long and created a similar effect. However, the production is very clean to hear - it doesn't have a lot of the earsplitting scratching and other sound effects that turn me away from electronic music as a genre. I found myself bobbing up and down as I did my work, as full-out dancing is generally discouraged when your boss can walk in at any moment, with visions of European discos playing in my head. For a genre that I generally dread listening to, Darkdancer was a remarkably pleasant surprise.
Favorite Tracks: Music Makes You Lose Control; (Hey You) What's That Sound?; Dreamin'

No comments:

Post a Comment