Tuesday, June 4, 2013

#217: Pere Ubu - The Modern Dance (1978)




Zack: I often find myself wondering why there aren’t more experimental synthpunk bands out there, and contemplating if this is a niche market worth conquering. Only now, in this late hour, do I learn that Pere Ubu has that subsection of music lovers covered, and has done so pretty consistently since 1975. They even released an album this year. I hadn’t heard of this band before this list-related escapade started and had absolutely no idea that they are seemingly this influential. On The Modern Dance, you can hear New Wave and post punk about to be born. I’m pretty sure Sonic Youth descended from its womb a few years after its release, and I picked up a bit of Butthole Surfers as well. And, perhaps most remarkably, it doesn’t sound dated. If you had told me this album was released any time between 1972 and 2011, I wouldn’t have blinked. It just sort of has a well-preserved sound to it that is really impressive for its age. As an overall album, I thought it was alright. But it was still really cool to get to listen to this overlooked but seemingly important corner of modern music history.
Favorite Tracks: Street Waves; Life Stinks; Over My Head

Emily: When I first encountered Pere Ubu, I thought it would be one dude playing Latin American music (or something along those lines). Much like Steely Dan, Pere Ubu is not a person. It's a whole band. And they don't play salsa or bachata tunes, but rather experimental post-punk-ish rock. They experiment with different noises and sounds beyond instrumentals, but combine them with garage and other rock rhythms. This prevents them from venturing too far into Captain Beefheart territory (though one song veered dangerously close) while remaining innovative. Pere Ubu also works with post-punk before punk was even over, perhaps blazing a trail for that genre in the early '80s. It's different without being weird, attention grabbing but not in a negative way. Others perfected this sound in the years following, but Pere Ubu - though obscure - was one of the first to go there.
Favorite Tracks: Real World; Street Waves; Non-Alignment Pact

No comments:

Post a Comment