Thursday, August 30, 2012

#182: Buck Owens - I've Got a Tiger By the Tail (1965)


Emily: I do commend Buck Owens on having an adorably creative band name. The Buckaroos? That sounds like a touring children's band that has its own Western-themed TV show, definitely something that would've been on in the '60s. Like Woody's Roundup in Toy Story, or something along those lines. The music itself, though, I didn't enjoy as much. Buck Owens is very much traditional country - that's all it is. Not much twang, but lots of the standard country themes: laments about loneliness and love lost mixed in with some happier tunes about falling in love and enjoying the good times. My favorite, though, was the one with no words. It was simple, calm and pleasant. Not my favorite song ever, but a nice interlude in an album I otherwise didn't really enjoy. Some of these tracks have become standards of the genre, or they were standards first and Owens covered them. I'm actually not quite sure; Wikipedia wasn't clear on that. Either way, this album is a country standard. Not my thing, but if it's yours you'll enjoy this album. But I'm pretty sure everyone will love the band name.
Favorite Tracks: A Maiden's Prayer; We're Gonna Let the Good Times Roll; Trouble and Me


Zack: And here we were making such progress. I had really started to get into country. Willie Nelson, Dolly Parton, and Silver Jews had grown tremendously from where Johnny Cash had planted that wonderful seed. I listen to Cash in my free time so frequently! Yeah, the Louvin Brothers had been a mighty set back. But so what? I thought my newfound appreciation of country might be tougher than that. I really thought we had a chance in the long run. But then Buck Owens happened. I’ve Got a Tiger by the Tail isn’t particularly twangy, so I didn’t have that excuse. It just was so damn boring. It was embarrassingly bad to the degree that I had to turn the volume way down so no one else could overhear what I was listening to during my office hours. It was like when you’re near that weird kid in school and you don’t want anyone to see you two together lest they immediately assume you are both buddies or something. It was only 28 minutes long, but from how frequently I glared at my minimized iTunes with nothing but fury, you would have guessed three times that length. If Buck Owens has a tiger by the tail, I can only hope that the tiger is only biding its time, waiting for the perfect moment to strike (or puurrrrfect moment – sorry).
Favorite Tracks: We’re Gonna Let the Good Times Roll; Memphis, Tennessee; Wham Bam

No comments:

Post a Comment