Saturday, January 7, 2012

#153: Bauhaus - Mask (1981)



Emily: One major criticism of this list is that it’s incredibly Brit-centric. Bands like Bauhaus had major (or minor) success in the UK but never really broke in with US audiences. For the Americans that are uninformed and unwilling to actually listen to everything on the list, this seems like a slight to many successful and influential American bands in favor of obscure British indie rock. Unfortunately, that opinion is rather narrow-minded. As we make our way through the list, Zack and I have encountered more than a few bands that we hadn’t heard of previously. It’s almost a benefit, because then we have no preconceived expectations for the music. Take Bauhaus, for example. I had no idea who they were before a few days ago – no idea about their history, their sound, their era. All I knew was that they were post-punk, and that can mean any number of things. Going in blindly, I was pleasantly surprised with what I heard. Bauhaus doesn’t really break any new sonic ground with Mask, but their rockin’ sound incorporates some space-age, futuristic elements that set the album apart from a fairly monotonous (so far) post-punk field. Bauhaus may not be my new favorite band, but listening to Mask was certainly an enjoyable way to spend 45 minutes.
Favorite Tracks: The Passion of Lovers; In Fear of Fear; Mask

Zack: I don’t think Bauhaus is post-punk as much as they are Prog punk. Hey look! I invented a new kind of music (or at least a term for it) by cleverly mashing together two pre-existing terms. I’m like a real music critic now! Anyway, they seemed to me to be a cross between the Dead Kennedys and Pink Floyd. Almost like they wanted to be a tribute band to both but didn’t like the way Dead Floyd or Pink Kennedys sounded. Which is funny, because I love both of those names. But that’s beside the point. I thought Mask was alright. I didn’t absolutely love it or anything. It did make my train ride how slightly more enjoyable, though. And it paired pretty well with Pokemon Gold, a surprisingly difficult thing to do. So, you know, there’s that. I probably will never go back to relisten to it, but at least I can say that my Totodile pwned some Caterpies while The Man With the X-Ray Eyes played in the background.
Favorite Tracks: Hollow Hills; Mask; Kick in the Eye

1 comment: